I was wondering what would happen if we decided to take Pontus with us to the wedding after all and asked my husband if he had told the groom that we might bring a baby. Yes, he had and his cousin had told him that if Pontus started to scream or be noisy in the church, he should either make him be quiet or leave the church.
Now, I think everyone should have enough decency and common sense to understand that letting a child disturb any ceremony is not acceptable. But I think it is kind of harsh to basically be told to "make the baby shut up or get him out right away". The bride and groom to not have children (yet), so maybe they are not aware of the fact that babies do not have a snooze button. And they probably also don't understand how problematic it is to be standing around outside for a longer time with a small child in temperatures barely exceeding 10° C. I think they will have an insight or two once they have children themselves...
I suggested to my husband that we simply skip the ceremony, come to the church 5 minutes before it ends and then pretend that Pontus screamed so much that we never dared to go inside. Or say that he screamed so much at home that we simply couldn't leave when we should have.
It's not like I could not live without sitting through yet another wedding. And we could really use some extra time to get ready and into town. Right now we have a pretty tight schedule for the day - not going means another badly needed hour for us.
But my husband, a bad liar and thus always the honest one, does not want to do that. I say: if you need an excuse, just blame it on the baby! It is one of the perks of parenthood and I don't feel the least guilty about doing it. If I could just get my husband to understand that...
September 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment