September 17, 2008

It's alright, baby's coming back

The baby's back. Or more precisely: it was never gone. There was no miscarriage - I was pregnant all the time!

Now, let me make this very clear right away: the doctors last week had no doubt about their diagnosis. There was no "maybe" or "possibly". I certainly wouldn't have told people that I had a miscarriage if there had been any chance that everything would turn out okay. They said: "You had a miscarriage. The child probably had a genetic defect or another sickness that meant it wasn't viable. There is not much left of the pregnancy, your body will take care of it itself. You will probably have a somewhat stronger menstruation and that's it. Sorry, but these things happen and there's no telling why.". And I accepted that. If a trained medical professional sits there, looks you straight in the face and says that you miscarried, no doubt whatsoever, you believe them.

But when I got home and started to read up on the topic things did not seem all that clear anymore. I primarily wanted to know what would happen at the next hospital appointment when I began my search. And I found several people who had been through the same as me: light bleedings and no visible embryo during the ultrasound at around week 6 or 7. It's just that almost all of those people had been told that it was common that no baby was visible on an ultrasound this early on in the pregnancy. They were told to come back for another ultrasound 1 or 2 weeks later and by then most of them could see a baby. Not all, some had miscarried, but a lot of them. The more I read, the more I wondered why my doctors had been so dead-sure that I had miscarried. Could it not have been to early to see a baby? Could I maybe still be pregnant? The bleedings had stopped almost right away and for over a week I had been feeling fine. Pregnant, not like I was going to bleed out at any moment. That had to count for something, right?
I so wanted to hope that everything would turn out well, that I would be one of the lucky ones, but I didn't dare. What were the odds that the doctors had been that horribly wrong? Still the "what if" was on my mind all the time. Those were some of the longest days of my life.

When I returned to the hospital for my follow-up today I took up my concerns with the doctor. It was not the same doctor as last time and he seemed to agree with me that it was worth doing another check up. Some seconds after starting the ultrasound he turned the screen towards me and said: "There's the baby. There's the beating heart.". He kept pointing at things. Everything was there! Everything!
I am in week 8 now (7+2), which is exactly what I had calculated myself. The baby has the right size and is developing just fine. The doctor even thinks he found what caused the bleeding and according to him there is nothing to worry about.

I want the week back that they stole from me.

1 comment:

Muddiz said...

Gud, vad härligt! Hoppas allt fortsätter att vara bra nu.