December 02, 2008

Passion for paint

Last weekend we FINALLY finished the work on Pontus' room that has been a total ruin for as long as we (and he) have lived here. Well, when we moved in it was actually a decent looking room with shabby wallpaper. In a first eager and motivated effort we tore down the wallpaper (more or less), just to never continue. Especially after Pontus' birth the work came to a complete stop.

For several months our son has been sleeping in a room that makes Saddam's bunker look like a 5-star hotel and now that he is getting older we were afraid he would notice and felt ashamed. Ashamed enough to finally get on with it.

New wallpaper and a fabulous paint job later Pontus now has a room that he can show off to his little friends. Okay, so there are no toys or decorations or even a lamp (unless you are one of those people who call a single lonely lightbulb dangling from the ceiling a "lamp"), but hey, you can't have everything at once. We're getting there. Slowly. He won't have to wait for another year though, I promise.

Usually our home improvement projects follow a strict pattern: I find something I don't like, I communicate how I want things to be, I nag until the work gets done and then I critically evaluate the result, while my husband does all the actual work. But this time I actually did some of the work myself. Real hands-on manual labour - I helped paint the room. And it turns out that I have a secret fetish for painting walls (like Muddiz has a secret fetish for tucking Björn Gustafsson in at night)! It is so calming, so "wax on, wax off" (no, this is not the paint fumes talking). Evenly covering a surface with a layer of paint requires Ordnung and accuracy and attention to detail - in short: me. I have found my true DIY calling!

No comments: