May 25, 2008

Bad English

That is not "Bad English" as in the band from the late 80ies, but a concise summary of yesterday's final of the Eurovision Song Contest. As a German I lack any natural interest in the competition and looking at the songs and artists Germany usually sends to the event you will understand that it is a notion I share with many of my countrymen. Here in Sweden though, the ESC is a big thing with several national contests and massive media coverage. Living in this country you are faced with some tough options: you either accept that your respective other will be hogging the tv for many Saturdays and find yourself something else to do OR you try to get in touch with your inner Swede long enough to be able to sit through the event.

I opted for the latter and it was truly an interesting experience. 25 songs, most of them either performed in incomprehensible English or a foreign language. I have yet to decide what is worse. Either way you could barely understand a word of any of the songs (or of what the hosts said for that matter). Who sits for over 3 hours and watches something like that you ask? Muddiz of course. And even more shocking: she enjoyed it! While her husband fell asleep on our couch before the show even started, Muddiz would even have watched the horrible filler performances with which they "entertain" people during the voting for example if we'd let her. You think you know people....

I will apply for Swedish citizenship soon and if enduring what I endured last night does not earn me any brownie points with the Swedes then I don't know what will.

1 comment:

Muddiz said...

hey, thats not fair. I was perfectly fine with skiping the "entertainment". But come on! Admit that you at least enjoyed the Latvian Pirates...