June 29, 2008

Cupcakes vs. Muffins

Tomorrow I have to go to work to talk to my boss about when I will return to work and for how many hours per week. I assume he won't be happy, considering that I won't get back to working full-time for a couple more months.

At the same time I wanted to take some cake with me to celebrate my birthday, so I spent part of the afternoon making cupcakes. Yes, cupcakes, not muffins. I researched the matter online and the most hands-on advice for distinguishing the two was this:
"If you threw a cupcake against the wall, you would hear something of a "poof!" If you threw a muffin, you would hear a "thud!"
Mine are definitely "poofers", not "thudders".

Here is the result of my labour:



Top row: Bounty cupcakes and Lemon cupcakes
Bottom row: Hazelnut cupcakes and Chocolate chip cupcakes

Before you get too impressed let me point out that I only "made" them the way my mother "made" all kinds of food: open bag, enhance content by adding a little extra, heat, serve. I had thought about making everything from scratch but then I realized that I was in fact not completely crazy and could certainly come up with a better way to spend my Sunday. It's not like my colleagues care - they will happily eat half-frozen supermarket cake as long as it allows them to take a coffee break. This here should be a real treat for them...

No comments: