Last weekend we went to Germany to visit my parents.
In my world, "going to Germany" is just another expression for "shopping". I hit the stores and I hit them hard. Especially the supermarket, because there is so much good German food you can't get here in Sweden. And with food I mostly mean candy.
We usually travel to Germany with one suitcase in which we keep a really big extra bag. On the way back to Sweden that bag is then filled with all of the clothes I bought and the suitcase holds as much German food as the airline's weight limit allows for.
One of the things I buy in Germany is called Goldmünzen (golden coins). It is hard chewy caramel, about the size of a Swedish 5 kronor coin, in a golden wrapper. It is really a typical Christmas candy - buying a dozen packages in the middle of summer always gets me curious looks.
With the coins being as big as they are I usually bend them in the middle or try to break them in half in order to better fit them into my mouth. A good fit is essential, because you need to chew long and hard in order for the caramel flavour to unfold. Good things never come easy!
I was sitting on the couch earlier today, eating the last three coins from a package when suddenly half a coin was missing. I had broken it in the middle, but there was only one half left in the wrapper. I searched everywhere, but the other piece was nowhere to be seen. So I sat and thought for a while and then I had a great idea: why not repeat everything and see if I could make another half coin disappear to that mysterious land of lost candy. There was nothing to lose, really (except for my precious candy of course). But it actually worked! I watched as the other half coin flew through the air and disappeared into a crack between two cushions. And when I dug around with my hand I also found the first half coin that went missing.
I am a smart cookie!
June 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment