June 02, 2008

Unwanted visitors

About two months ago we had ants in the kitchen. We laid out some traps and within a day no more ants were to be seen. Then a couple of weeks ago we had ants in the living room. Again we laid out traps and they disappeared. Ever so randomly my parents-in-law drop by at our house unannounced. We have repeatedly told them not to do that, but without any success whatsoever. Why is it easier to get ants out of the house than in-laws?

Okay, so it is maybe not a very flattering comparison, but the fact remains: even though we keep saying that we do not find it okay to just come over unannounced they keep on doing it. Take this Sunday for example: my husband had gone over to Muddiz to help her husband with his construction work, so when I heard a noise outside our door I assumed he had come back. It was very warm, so I was wearing something that reminded of the clothes that "Charlie's Angels" wore back in the days. Unfortunately my body also looks as if I had been one of the original cast members (meaning like that of a now old woman), so I can not really get away with wearing very short shorts and tank tops outside the comfort of my own home. Guess how happy I was to be standing face to face with my parents-in-law upon opening the door. They had been out cycling and just so happened to be in the neighbourhood and thought they could return my husband's bus card and see the baby and....

Before I knew what was happening my mother-in-law was inside the house, critically inspecting the kitchen and living room, while I desperately tried to stretch the fabric of my clothes in hopes of covering more of my exposed body. An akward conversation ensued while I not-so-subtly tried to get them to leave and they tried to pretend not to notice my apparent discomfort. After the longest 3 minutes of my life they left to go over to Muddiz to meet my husband and Pontus there. Of course I called there as soon as they had left and warned them...

I can not wrap my head around why people think it is okay to just invade other people's homes. My home truly is my castle. It is where I can run around in whatever I want to and do whatever I want to, whenever I want to. I do not want to have to live as if there might be visitors any minute, especially not on the weekends. Why is that so hard to understand?

We have people over at our place often, but I like it to be on our terms and think that that is the way it should be.

You wanna come over and it's okay with us? Be our guest and feel right at home!
You wanna surprise us by coming over unannounced? We never really liked you anyway...

No comments: